The 80s takes on The Comedy of Errors

Ok, let's do a short recap on my life before I go any further.  I successfully opened and closed this year's senior class play, Arsenic and Old Lace, with few (if any) issues.  Everyone said it was a great show and I was very proud, and I've just finished my first week of rehearsals on Seussical our spring musical...so life is pretty busy.  I'll be out of show season in 6 more weeks and will be within spitting distance of summer vacation...yess!!!  I'm also still seeing Patrick, and not feeling the usual fatigue yet.  This one might just last, if you can believe it.  So all in all, I think life is pretty good right now (but then again, ask me again in 5 weeks and we'll see if I'm still sane).  Anyway, today I got to revisit an old favorite of mine...though not one of everyone else's.  It is a contemporary take on a concept first dreamed up by the ancient Romans (though that probably means the Greeks really came up with it) and then popularized by William Shakespeare in his The Comedy of Errors.  For anyone who's studied their theater history, you realize I'm talking about the comic oppertunites afforded by a plot featuring twins...who don't realize that they themselves have a twin.  If you're following my hints and threads you'll realize I'm talking about the Lily Tomlin/Bette Midler vehicle Big Buisness.  The film was a minor blip in 1988 that received few positive critical marks, but it gets replayed on television often enough to have stuck in the minds of viewers for many decades.  If you'll oblige me, I'd like to say a little bit about this feature.

The film opens in the West Virginia wilderness in the late 40s/early 50s where a Mr. and Mrs. Shelton are searching for the summer house of some rich friends.  The Sheltons hit a snag, of course, when the missus begins to give birth.  They ask directions to a local hospital, which is only to be used by local factory employees, and upon buying the factory are able to birth their two twin daughters.  However, a local bumpkin and his wife are also there giving birth to two twin girls and, due to a nearsighted nurse, the sets of twins are mixed up (and each parent decides to name the girls Sadie and Rose).  Cut to some 30 or 40 years later and Sadie and Rose Shelton are running one of the biggest companies in Manhattan while Rose and Sadie Ratliff are still working for the factory in West Virginia.  When evil Sadie S. decides to liquidate the factory to serve her own selfish means, Rose R. takes it upon herself to head on up to New York City to "raise some Hell and kick some snooty New York ass".  Rose R. takes her sister Sadie R. with her (who has always dreamed of a city life) to Manhattan and soon each set of girls is being mistaken for the other.  Confusion and consternation is abound as the setting of the famous Plaza Hotel is exploited for many farcical shenanigans.

Big Business is the kind of movie that features amazing performances, excellent design, and wonderful comic timing that all works together as long as one is able to accept the film's major plot device...that there would be two sets of mismatched twins running around a hotel and not realizing that something strange was up.  Apparently many people can't, which is a shame, as I think we're asked to suspend disbelief for far more than that in certain films.  I myself, despite the contrivances of the plot's setup, can't help but be caught up in the whirlwind of acting choices and comic beats of Tomlin and Midler as they chew the scenery as the twins.  Each one is able to treat their respective Sadies and Roses as if she is the complete opposite of the opposing counterpart.  Their co-stars are also excellent, if less memorable, and the direction of Jim Abrahams is tight and works well to create a really diverting comedy. For me personally, this is one of my favorite comedies featuring Bette Midler and I seem to watch it every year (sometimes more than once).  Like always: if you've never seen it or if you haven't seen it in years, I suggest you find yourself a copy and turn it on.  It is perfect for a Saturday night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 22: The Story of an Uncommonly Gentle Man

Duality: Who We Think We Are and Who Other People Think We Are

Two Gay Men Can't Be Friends...