What Do You Do When You Feel Sad?

I enjoy re-watching favorite TV shows I happen to own on DVD from time to time - and before
you scoff, plenty of people own a season or two of something on disc still, streaming services
haven’t yet gifted us with unlimited choices on what to watch - and as I was watching an early
episode of The Simpsons this month, something about it struck a chord with me.  In the little
remembered season one episode called “Moaning Lisa”, Lisa finds herself dealing with an
unclassifiable sadness. The episode spends a great deal of time focusing on Marge and Homer
both trying to cure her of her sadness, Marge specifically. Marge remembers her own experience as
a child being told by her mother that she should be happy for the benefit of the people around her
and passes on that advice to Lisa and thinks the problem is solved until she sees what the
repression of that sadness does to her daughter.  Lisa immediately attracts two male classmates
who proceed to try to take advantage of her booksmarts and forced amiable nature. It is here where
Marge recants and tells Lisa that not only is it alright for her to feel sad, but that she should embrace
that sadness. This wraps up the story in typical sitcom fashion since now that Lisa has been told
that her sadness isn’t a problem, she doesn’t feel it anymore. A similar theme is explored in the
2015 film Inside Out where the lead inner emotions of protagonist Riley have to allow Riley to feel
the Sadness that Joy has been actively repressing for the duration of the narrative.
As I think about these stories and their dealing with sadness, or depression if you’d prefer, it
makes me wonder what we do in our own lives when we feel sad.  I’ve seen people champion these
stories and their messages as important lessons on how we need sadness to function...but so often I
still see friends and family members try to hide their sadness when they are feeling it because they
don’t think people will care or because they don’t think their own sadness is important enough to
mention.  I am often guilty of this as well. In my own life, I spend a good deal of my time acting
(impersonating?) as a stable adult who has his shit together. I have a lot to be thankful for: a
husband who adores me, a beautiful home, floofy cat kids who won’t leave my lap alone, close
friends, and gainful employment are among the top items on this list.  Yet still, I get sad - a lot.
What’s more, I get sad a lot for different reasons. Disclaimer: I am not meaning to equate sadness
with clinical depression in this sense. Clinical depression is a real disorder and one that is not
simply someone feeling sad for a day or a short time and should be treated with seriousness and
respect. I do not suffer from depression in this form so I can only speak on my own low-level
sadness.  That said, I feel that sadness is something we need to talk more about because, it is often
at the root of those things that are adversely affecting our mental health.
When I feel sad, I’m inconsistent with how I deal with it.  Sometimes I’m really good about
opening up and talking about it with my husband and close friends and they often help me to feel
better about what I’m going through.  However, that’s usually only the first time I feel sad about
something. That’s the funny thing about sadness - sometimes you can feel better about something
for a while and then lapse back into a funk about it if something strikes you the right way.  When that
happens, I tend to be less open with those I’ve confided in. I often feel like if I’ve shared something
with a person, that I shouldn’t share the same things again. As irrational as it sounds, I don’t feel
right burdening people with my sadness more than one time.  This actually highlights problem one
with my own sadness coping and, I assume, with others - the assumption that our sadness is
perceived as a burden by those who love us. If pop culture (and sure, fine, real life too) has taught
us anything, it is that sadness is one of the things that brings those who care about us to our aid
when we need them the most.  So why do we feel like a burden when we are sad a second time.
Possibly because, we are used to seeing sadness resolved in pop culture after one outpouring of
emotion. Once characters have dealt with their sadness, they never have to deal with it again.
However, in real life we often are revisited by our sadness and it can make us feel weak or like we
have somehow ‘failed’ at good mental health by not exorcising those bad feelings.  It probably
doesn’t help that good-natured people, like me, are also not bad about reliving a person’s sadness
when the same problem pops up again. I like to think of myself as a good friend, but sometimes
even I get mentally exhausted by the re-occurance of sadness in my own friends. It’s something I
struggle with and something I have to actively remind myself to not do. Life is not a sitcom and all of
our problems are never resolved in the space of 30 minutes.  The other thing we must do better
when we are hearing the sadness of someone else is this: we have to stop thinking that because
someone shares a sadness with us that it is our responsibility to somehow fix it. This may come as
a shock, but just because we all feel emotions doesn’t mean we all know how to help other people
with their unique troubles. Too often we offer advice without knowing a whole situation, tell people
that “everything will be ok,” or even worse, tell people to simply cheer up.  It’s not our job to fix the
people who share their sadness with us...because those people aren’t broken.
Sadness also tends to worsen based on how well we can deal with feelings of weakness and
inadequacy in the face of it.  We get a lot of socialization around sadness as we age and grow and
one of the prevailing ideas around sadness is one of intense resilience.  “Put your big boy pants on,”
and “Man up,” are some of the ways in which sadness is actively repressed in young men as they
age (#toxicmasculinity); similarly we see young women being told to, “smile more” and to “learn to
deal with disappointment” - I don’t have a toxic femininity hashtag but I think there should be one.
 As well meaning as some of these quotes may be, they do teach a distorted lesson to the young
mind. We don’t hear, “everyone gets sad and that’s ok, but I still need you to pull yourself together
and be in the world” which is often the intent. Instead we hear, “adults don’t get sad and you are
becoming one, so get rid of those feelings.”  No one means to actively teach us to repress our
sadness; but it does happen. As a high school teacher, I even did it myself (refer back to the earlier
passage where; when confronted with the same sadness from someone else again - I get mentally
exhausted). I’ve often given the advice that “you need to leave that drama at the door” and “we all
have to do our part even when we don’t feel like it” - and those words are true, but they aren’t
enough to convey what I really mean.  Our feelings are valid and we are allowed to feel them - but
we also have to learn the coping skills to help us to keep going even when we feel like dirt. It’s too
bad that so many of us used repression as a coping skill rather than communication.
We need to remind ourselves that when we feel sadness it is a normal part of being alive, being in the world, and having empathy towards that world and the people in it.  It is not weakness, it is not
“failing to adult”, and it is not abnormal or a sign that you have a serious mental problem. Sadness
is normal and it is something we feel more as we age, not less, because of our ability to critically
think.  Look at the world around you and ask yourself whether or not it makes you feel sad. We don’t
live in a perfect world and there are a lot of problems in it. You should feel sad about it and you
should express that you feel sad about it. Look at your own life.  Are there things you wish were
different or better? Of course there are - and it is ok to be sad about it. Moreso, it is ok to be sad to
other people. Talk to the people you trust about your sadness, and talk to them multiple times. Let
that sadness have a voice so that you can let it go.  When people share their sadness with you,
remember that you don’t have to fix them or make them feel better - all you need to do is listen so
that they feel their sadness is not abnormal. Above all - don’t avoid sadness in yourself or in other
people. The better we are at engaging in sadness as we should, the better our collective mental
health will be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 22: The Story of an Uncommonly Gentle Man

Two Gay Men Can't Be Friends...

Duality: Who We Think We Are and Who Other People Think We Are